in Solar Training™
Reactivate's Workforce Training Program
Building Equity in Solar Training™ (B.E.S.T.) is a national workforce training program that standardizes the skills and provides certifications needed for a successful career in the solar sector by responding to industry demands.
B.E.S.T is committed to an equity-driven model to ensure that individuals from underserved or disadvantaged populations or communities have the support they need to enroll, complete training, enter a career with family sustaining wages, and overcome any barriers they may face.
A Just Energy Transition
Renewable energy jobs are forecasted to grow to over 1 million by 2030. B.E.S.T. is deliberately crafted to address that need with a focus on equity and job training for individuals from communities that have historically been underrepresented in industries that are advancing the country’s transition to solar and other types of renewable energy.
The curriculum was created in conjunction with experienced solar curriculum facilitators GRID Alternatives (GRID), Solar Energy International (SEI), and Jobs for the Future (JFF) a nationally recognized workforce training and curriculum facilitator.
B.E.S.T. uses a mix of well-tested industry trainings developed by the North American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners (NABCEP), OSHA 30, as well as operator training, general building trades training and customized content tailored both to occupational demand and to the needs of the target populations (e.g., those whose primary language is Spanish).
The program utilizes a mix of classroom training and hands-on training approaches, which we view as critical to ensuring trainees are ready to enter the solar workforce upon graduation from the program.
Ensuring Student Success
The program is built around a suite of wraparound support to ensure student success.
- Enrollment options for individuals without a high school degree
- Weekly stipends
- Assistance with job placement & transition to apprenticeships
- A train-the-trainer model for upskilling non-specialist instructors
- Access to free computers and Wi-Fi hot spots
- Skills-based training and certifications that will ensure graduates are hirable for other trades in the event the demand for solar installers is low.
- Sixteen-week Hybrid Solar Training Program
- Paid Training with materials provided
- Transportation and childcare assistance
- Dedicated tutoring and counseling
- Bi-lingual support (English/Spanish)
- 18 years or older
- Valid ID
- Eligible to work in the U.S.
- Interested in working in the solar industry
Training Generally Includes:
- Solar photovoltaic system installation training
- OSHA 30 certification
- Hands-on training
- NABCEP preparation and exam
- Career guidance and placement assistance